26.1.16

Yogi Adventures: Part 1 / January

As some of you know, I'm embarking on a journey to self-mastery. It takes the form of a Kundalini Yoga Teacher Training hosted by the one and only Kulmeet. The training partakes over one weekend per month, for six months, and last weekend was the first training. It was like my first day of school all over again, heh! 
I want to share my yogi adventures with you since this is such a big part of my life and who I am. Kundalini yoga has helped me get through so many difficult times. My regular practice has taught me how to properly breathe (I know, right?), I've learned how to be more tolerant and patient, how to relax in stressful situations, and it's changed my relationship with pain. It's helped me become a stronger, more peaceful and gracious human. It has only done me good. 

However, I didn't become the person I am today overnight and without work, let me tell you. This type of yoga is weird. It's hard. It will test you. But if you can work through your negative mind, you will reap the rewards. 

Kundalini yoga is known as the yoga of awareness. It's a science of the mind and body, to elevate the spirit. It is a non-denominational spiritual practice. It's yoga for everyone. 

Last weekend I was surrounded by 13 fellow yoga students, many teachers, and friends. We learned about the origins of Kundalini yoga, how to properly do different assanas (postures) and pranayamas (breathing styles), I FINALLY participated in my very first Sadhana (early morning meditation), and we learned how to modify exercises for individual strengths. 

We had two teachers instructing this weekend: Guru Dharam from Sweden and Siri Sat from New York. We had lectures, discussions, demonstrations, watched a movie, did yoga sets, meditated, chanted, laughed, cried, and ate some delicious vegetarian food while sipping homemade yogi tea. Shoutout to the lovely kitchen peeps! 

I felt like I already knew so much about Kundalini yoga until this weekend. I now know I am just scratching the surface. The more I learn, the better my practice is. I want to become a better teacher to help the people in my life and myself. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the discussions I had with the students and teachers. Each conversation was so deep and real. One of my favourite parts was when we all shared a little story about ourselves. Learning about how and why others practice this yoga was so cool. People practice to become the best version of themselves and the stories of how they got there are so beautiful. 

I'm truly so grateful for the opportunity to take this course. This one weekend has changed me so much already. I can't wait to continue on this journey and see where it takes me. 

Oh, and I have yogi homework! We were assigned a 40 day meditation and kriya (yoga set) in order to learn how to have a daily practice. It's not going to be easy but I do know how good I will feel. 

Thank you for reading and following along on my journey. If you ever have any questions about Kundalini yoga or anything really, never hesitate to get a hold of me. 

Sat nam! 

Atmadev (this is my spiritual name, it means whose soul is attuned to the divine









PHOTOS BY KULMEET, LACY, DIANE, AND MYSELF.


No comments:

Leave a comment.

Copyright @ LAURA KIDD | BLOG DESIGN BY KOTRYNABASSDESIGN