28.9.15

Bloggers Meet-Up and an African print #OOTD

One of my favourite things about blogging is the community. I've found fellow fashion bloggers to be so warm, supportive, and welcoming. I wore this to a #blogott meet-up at Equator coffee shop last week. In addition to networking over delicious coffee, we got to learn all about Equator and their rich history of coffee roasting and giving back to the communities they work with. It was really cool to learn about fairtrade coffee and how it benefits the lives of farmers. I don't often think about where my cup of coffee comes from so it gave me some perspective. And perspective helps me to have gratitude for things I take for granted. 

The second half of the evening was for networking and chatting with some lovely ladies. I got to finally meet all the bloggers I follow on insta and put a real life face to the avatar! Real life is pretty cool sometimes. We shared so many laughs about blogging woes and silly things that happen to us while taking blog pictures. We exchanged blogging tips and ideas. I am really happy to be a part of this community. 

My outfit centered around my new african print tunic. I found it at a garage sale in a church last weekend and fell in love with it. I've always adored african prints but this one especially spoke to me. I think it was the pastel colours mixed with the gold! The fabric itself is so light and airy, it was perfect for one of our last summer days. I noticed a little card attached to the shirt that said "This dress is made in Nairaobi, Kenya, by women living in the Mathare Slum". All proceeds from the sale of clothing go to a Canadian charity called Project Chance Africa, who help children go to school. I didn't see any links on their site to purchase clothing but if you can spare a few bucks, it looks like a great charity to donate to. 

Special thanks to Katrina Turnbull of Oui c'est chic for hosting this month's event and to Shannon at Equator for having us and teaching so much! 

Headscarf: Thrifted, $2. Tunic: Garage Sale, ProjectChanceAfrica. Leggings: American Apparel, $32. Heels: Expression, The Bay, $30.




PHOTOS BY ROSIE
Equator Coffee, located in Westboro at 412 Churchill.
Back Row: Katrina, Coralie. Front Row: Sophie, myself, Katie, Emily, Symone, Alisa, Rosie, and Kay. Photo: Katrina Turnbull. 





No comments:

Leave a comment.

Copyright @ LAURA KIDD | BLOG DESIGN BY KOTRYNABASSDESIGN