10.9.13

Dear Grandma Kitty Kats

It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that my grandmother, Grandma Kitty Kats, passed away on August 31, 2013. After surviving several heart attacks, and spending three weeks in the ICU, she had many other complications and passed peacefully, surrounded by love. 

I had never lost someone so close to me before and while I know most of you didn't know her, she meant the world to me. She's touched so many lives and inspired so many, while she was living and even now after death. Her passing has really hit me (and my whole family so hard) because she was literally our rock. We could always, always, count on her and everyone would call her whenever we had a problem, needed someone to talk to, or simply wasn't sure how to cook a spaghetti squash (thanks gram).

When someone dies, we all have regrets. We all wish we could've, should've, would've visited more or told them how much we love and appreciate them more than we did. Reality is we can't go back in time (they're still working on it) and all we can do is reflect on what did happen, what we did say, and the love we did and still feel for that person. 

My grandma really lived her life. She lived for family and for herself. She did the things she loved. She painted, she gardened (even with a sore back and allergies), she cooked, and most importantly she loved her family unconditionally— truly.

She's taught me so much throughout my life and was an extremely positive influence for me growing up. I'll always remember the time we spent together and the love I felt every second we were together. What her life and death has taught me and my family is extraordinary. 

She's inspired me to treasure each moment, to love unconditionally, and to do what makes me happy.

And for that, I am forever thankful. 

Grandma Kitty Kats, I love you so much and I'd like to sincerely thank you. I'll never forget the way your soft skin felt when I hugged you, your laugh, your gorgeous hair, your pearls, the way your sticky buns taste, the way you said "again" and "roast beast", your delicious iced coffees, and the way you loved me so much. And while your body is gone, I still feel you here with me and I always will, until we meet again.


rest in peace


These are from grandma's garden. She called them "talking flowers" because when we were little, she would make the flowers talk with her hand :)
I'm not sure if you ever got to see how your flowers turned out, Grandma, but look,  they're beautiful. Just like you.
The picture board we made in memoriam of her life.

The name 'Grandma Kitty Kats' was officially created when I was a small human and couldn't differentiate the two grandmas and she had two cats.
Couldn't have made it through this hard time without these ladies- my beautiful sister and cousins. Family, love, support, music, art, and photographs are what helps me cope.

No comments:

Leave a comment.

Copyright @ LAURA KIDD | BLOG DESIGN BY KOTRYNABASSDESIGN