7.9.16

It's all in the waves




I'm back from my mini road trip to see my fam jam and their munchkins! We spent last week and labour day weekend at the park, beach, and roasting marshmallows on the fire. So you can pretty much assume it was perfect. 

Summer is not over!!! I refuse to believe it. Why does Summer come and go so fast? I feel like it's over faster than you can say Margarita. Margarita. See, it's Fall!

This is a perfect example of yet another topic that graces my brain quite often. Impermanence. More specifically, why are we so afraid of change? Why does the thought of something ending scare us me so much? Why don't we I take more risks? 

Why are we judgemental when people change? Why are we scared of ourselves changing? Why do we grasp so tightly to the person that we think we are? Why do we repeat the same story and fall victim to our circumstances? 

Well, my friends, I've been doing some reading. In my Inter-web travels, I came across this site which discusses impermanence from various religious perspectives. While I'm not religious, but rather spiritual (and apparently philosophical, who knew?), I connected deeply with these two lines: 

According to Hinduism, impermanence can be overcome by locating and uniting with the center of permanence that exists within oneself. This center is the Soul or the self that is immortal, permanent and ever stable.

Ah. The Soul. I wasn't aware I had one until about a year ago when I began practicing yoga and meditation more seriously. Hey guess what, guys? I have one. And you do too. We sometimes just forget it's there. 

So, wait... "I have a soul!" How does this help me live more fearlessly? 

Your soul is your essence. Your true self. When we disconnect from our soul, we feel confused, overwhelmed, fearful, anxious, and these emotions may cause us to live in fear. Living in fear is not for free spirits, dreamers, or happy people. 

The key is to connect to your soul. I think that may look different for everyone. I personally do this through meditation. By silencing my mind, I can hear my intuition that I often forget I have. I feel at ease, peaceful, fearless, and my dreams not only seem in reach but in fact aren't quite BIG enough

And that's pretty cool, amirite??? 

Being in water also helps me. I look at the water glistening in the sun and watch how fast the waves move up and down – so wildly in every direction. Water is in a constant state of change. It has no choice but to literally go with the flow, as they say. I try to be more like the water. Just like life, you have no control of where situations, people, and things take you. But, if you let your soul guide you, you'll be ok no matter what happens. 

Befriend your soul tonight and see where the waves take you. 





Bikini: Forever 21+, $30. Sunglasses: Forever 21, $9 


PHOTOS BY LISA KIDD AND ASHLEY WEIN.

No comments:

Leave a comment.

Copyright @ LAURA KIDD | BLOG DESIGN BY KOTRYNABASSDESIGN