15.1.13

Toats The Best Tots

Like the rest of the world, I got a little off track food-wise over the holidays. In getting back on track, I've been looking for fun, fresh, and healthy recipes and tools to help me. In specifically searching for something to eat for lunch, I came across these Zuchini Cupcakes. Although they look tasty and I do intend on making them one day, I felt they were too much of a 'sweet treat' substitute to bring them for lunch. I showed the recipe to my sister and she said she saw a similar one that seemed easier to make. These were called Zuchini Tots. I decided to combine the two recipes- as I liked the greek yogurt dressing idea from the first and breadcrumbs from the second. I added some ham and cooked spinach to them and they came out delicious! 


Zucchini Tots w Greek Yogurt Recipe





What I used:



  • 7 eggs 
  • 4-5 tbsp Italian-flavoured breadcrumbs (don't add to much or they'll taste too dry)
  • 3/4 one zucchini, shredded
  • handful of pan-cooked spinach 
  • 4 slices of ham, chopped
  • 3 tbsp. parmesan or marble cheese (in the mixture and sprinkled on top)
  • half an onion, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
*makes 11 medium sized tots.

Directions:


Beat 7 eggs in a bowl.  





Wash and chop the spinach, then cook in a pan for 3 minutes.


Shred the zucchini with a cheese grater and chop the onion.


Add 4-5 tbsp. of breadcrumbs.


Stir the eggs, cheese, ham, zucchini, and breadcrumbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.




Pour mixture into a muffin pan. *optional: sprinkle parmesan cheese on top




Let them cool while you take pictures ;)



Add plain greek yogurt on top. *I loved it but it's not for everyone.


Hope you liked this recipe! I took them for lunch the next day and they kept me full all afternoon since they're packed with protein! They are TOATS the best tots.

All photos taken by me.


3 comments:

  1. this sounds yummy!

    i like to make my own breadcrumbs though... what kind of spices are in the italian flavoured ones you used?

    http://bl4q.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx for the comment, Bani! For spices it says: onion, garlic, celery, paprika, parsley, and black pepper. It also says that it has Italian romano cheese in it.

      Delete
  2. That sounds delicious. I'm definitely going to make those!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ LAURA KIDD | BLOG DESIGN BY KOTRYNABASSDESIGN